Preserve And Store Aloe Vera
This page is one of Your Questions Answered pages. ( (Greek Version )
Aloe Vera plant
How can I preserve and store Aloe Vera inner leaf gel for long time? I know that after removing it from the leaf you can keep it for 48 hours.
Almost all food are subject to oxidation when are exposed too long to the oxygen of the air. And so is the inner leaf gel from the Aloe Vera plant. The oxidation process begins exactly the moment Aloe Vera gel comes in contact with the air.
So, we have to put it straight in the fridge after we extract the gel from the leaf and consume it in no more than 3-4 days. If we want to preserve it for a longer time there are some ways.
Preservation of whole Aloe Vera leaf
One way is to not extract the gel from the leaf but to store the entire leaf. It is very simple and the process is as follows:
- Cut by a vertical incision the thicker outer leaf from the outer part of a mature Aloe plant as low and close to the base of the plant as possible, taking care not to injure the body of the plant.
- Press the edges of the incision to move closer to each other to minimize the cut surface and help it heal itself. (Aloe Vera has the property to secrete and cover the incision with a fibrous slime. This substance immediately protects the inner gel of the leaf from contact with the air. After a short time it dries, forms an air-impermeable web of fibers and gets a reddish brown color. Essentially, it heals the incision, imprisoning the unaltered gel into the interior of the leaf and thus preventing oxidation).
- Wrap the leaf tightly
with plastic transparent foil.
- Keep it in the refrigerator or store it in a cool room. The thorns of the leaf must facing up.
You can preserve it for 10 to 15 days in the room or from 20 to 25 days in the refrigerator ( however it is better to be consumed as soon as possible). When the time comes, just cut the reddish edge, throw it away and extract the gel.
Preservation of Aloe Vera gel
If you want to preserve the gel for a longer time, you must add some substances that are essential for the preservation. These are vitamin C and vitamin E oil.
For 1 liter of Aloe Vera gel:
- 8 gr. crystalline vitamin C (not effervescent tablets or chewable tablets).
- Remove the gel from the leaf, cut it into cubes and put them in a blender.
- Add the vitamins and start the blender in low speed function.
- Put the mixture in glass jars ( prefer them from plastics). Fill jars to ooze out and put the lid.
- Keep the jars into the refrigerator.
The jelly in the jars will preserve for 6-8 months. If some gel cubes leftover, put them in ice cube trays into the freezer and have them at any time you need first aid for burns, sunburns, cuts, etc.
There is also a special process patented by Forever Living Products. This process is called stabilization or cold pasteurization and its effect is to keep unaltered and as close as possible to the natural state the Aloe Vera gel, ready to consume it at any time and it is used as raw material for juices, creams and other products of Forever.
Joy and Health,
Strato - AloeveraChangeslives